Saturday, May 9, 2015

Hello everyone!

My whole life I have dealt with stomach pains and other problems associated with the digestive system. My problems climaxed when on a road trip to Oregon. I got carsick from reading Vanity Fair for hours on end, and felt nauseated when we ate at a restaurant that day. And the next day. And the day after that. For the next two years I was unable to eat at restaurants. When I tried to overcome my strange affliction, I ate a bowl of yogurt and granola at Brent's and ended up introducing my dinner to some bushes outside the restaurant. I took every possible test the doctors could think of and nothing came up. It wasn't just restaurants, either. At school or home or anywhere, I would get nauseated after eating barely anything for no reason at all. Some days the only thing I could eat was a nutrition bar. Some days were better and some were staving times. Nothing helped. Then, the summer before I started college, I found out that I'm allergic to milk. I cut out every milk product from my life and although I got better, I still wasn't cured.

The best explanation for what I have is called functional dyspepsia combined with IBS (irritable bowl syndrome). All that means is that I get nauseated easily after eating and that my intestines sometimes don't take kindly to what I'm eating.

I had to do something. The problems I had were taking over my life. I couldn't even leave my apartment to go to school. I had no social life, no cure, and no hope. So I started to research. 
People like me react to certain foods. Unfortunately, the list of potentially problem-causing foods seems to include every edible thing known to man. And it was my job to figure out what was the problem.

Sugar and candy seemed to be pretty big, as well as excessive fat. That started to cut out my only fast-food option, chick-fil-a, as well as red meat, any fried foods, and most pre-packaged frozen foods, like burritos.

I also discovered that I react well to eating lots of soluble fiber, like oatmeal and rice. So I began to make them staples of my diet, adding in veggies for fried rice and keeping it simple. 
I started discovering new foods that would provide good nutrition as well as helping my intestines be satisfied with the good things I needed them to take. Lentil soup was perfect for me, and cheap and easy to make.

I'm still discovering new foods to keep me healthy and active. I can now eat and participate in clubs on the same day, which is a miracle. 

No comments:

Post a Comment